Sunday, March 29, 2009

A Tale of Two Scarves

It was the best of knitting, it was the worst of knitting. Same pattern, different yarn, both initially meant for the same person and a saga in the making. So to begin I have a friend who I will call Scottie Mom. I worked with Scottie Mom at Silly Hall and we still get together from time to time to dish about the people we know and the shenanigans that go on in city politics.

I wanted to knit her something that she would like and would be useful. I decided on the Noro Striped Scarf by Brooklyn Tweed. I loved the look and the knitting was a simple single rib. So off to Knitorious I went and dug through all the Noro trying to find some colors that I thought Scottie Mom would like. She looks so good in pastels, but it was hard finding Noro that I thought she would like, but I picked two colorways and thought it would be okay. I went home and started to work on the scarf.

As the scarf progressed I began to have my doubts on the colors. They were too garish for her, too me and not her. Then I lost my knitting on Cherokee Street; it was a drama thing I whined about on the blog. The knitting was retrieved, but I knew it was just not the right colorway.

Enter the Wisdom Yarn, Poems. I saw the colors at Knit and Caboodle in St Charles and the skeins literally fell off the shelf at me. There was a blue that just needed to be knitted for Scottie Mom. So I started all over again. Knitting and knitting that single rib, I am sick to death of knit, purl, knit, purl.

Scottie Mom's birthday came and went. Winter came and went, finally the scarf was done just in time for spring! The photo of her scarf is directly above. I gave it to Scottie Mom and she was very, very gracious. She said, "Hey, we will have a few more days of cold weather."

Once done with Scottie Mom's scarf, I went back to the original effort which was about half done. Back to the old knit, purl, knit, purl. At last I am done with both scarves. Photo of the Noro Striped Scarf is below. Same pattern, different yarn, two results. I don't think I ever want to do the single rib ever again.

No comments: