Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Julie & Julia

Last night I watched the movie Julie and Julia. I loved it. The story touched my heart, made me hungry, and amazed me that Meryl Streep can even act to project tallness. The connection between Julia Child's struggle to publish a French cookbook and Julie's own personal turmoil at not being a writer connected to me. I understood the want to be published and the want to be read. The want to connect with someone else. My pet theory is that we are all trying in our way to connect to a world that has increasingly become more distant to us. I know that is why I blog, I am trying to connect with people I do not get to see as regularly as I would like.






Julie's story was exceptionally moving for me. Her friends have prestigious jobs with assistants while she menially answers the phone for a post 9/11 municipal office. She dreams of writing, but can't get published. Her salvation is her thoughtful partner and cooking her way through Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. She finds passion and purpose through this daily task. Granted I am not really in love with French cooking, but I did love the idea of finding ones passion. One day I will find that passion that fulfills me and then I too will be able to act taller.

No comments: