Saturday, June 18, 2016

Choosing Love

I grew up in a different world than the one we live in today.  A world where if a person was different in any way they were often antagonized by their peers, their community, and even at times by the courts.  I have fought the conditioning of my youth and the established society not only for acceptance of myself as a lesbian, but for others as well.  It hasn't been easy, but change has come.  Slowly, but as the ring on my left hand now has the courts behind it, I have seen the change happen.

However, looking back on the last week and the horrific massacre in Orlando at the Pulse nightclub I have, like many throughout the world, been heartbroken.  I have struggled with feelings of anger, rage, sadness, and fear.  As I am trying to work through my emotions I have found 2 things have resonated with me.

 First the strength and power of the human spirit to survive and to continue to evolve.  The outpouring of support for the survivors, the families of the victims, Orlando, and the LGBTQ community gives me hope.  Even those who have been obstacles for LGBTQ civil rights are opening their eyes and finally coming aboard to the importance of equality.  Sure some of these new converts are just jumping on the bandwagon, but that just shows the tide has turned.  To them I say welcome to the new world order. To those with sincerity and love in their heart I say thank you.

The second thing I have discovered is I will always choose love over hate.  I want to focus on creating a world where love, not hate is the currency.  People and groups espousing hate have no place in the future I want to see for those that come after us.  I will continue, regardless of the circumstances to choose to pick love over hate every time.

To the survivors, the families, the friends, and the city of Orlando I send only thoughts of love and healing, but I will never forget the sacrifices you have made.  Peace my friends.

No comments: