Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Suburban

Sunday was my suburban day. I like being an urban dweller and I never want to live in the hinterlands of St Louis County, but I do know some cool people who have chosen to live out that way. So with a paycheck's worth of gas I went to a birthday party in Eureka for a friend turning all of 6. After watching the pony rides and eating a sprinkle laden cupcake it was off to the height of the suburbia, New Town at St Charles. Eureka is one thing, but the concept of a planned burb that is suppose to look like an old fashion town is very odd to me. But hey, it takes all kinds. My friends who have moved there love their new house with its big rooms and I admit beautiful front porch. They love the concept and all the amenities of the neighborhood. They say that at night everybody sits on their front porches and talks to the neighbors sitting on the next porch. Everyone walks their dogs around the designed lakes and well manicured parks. In some ways it is down right eerie to me to see how perfect this place is. I kept expecting to be confronted by suburban Borg forcing me to assimilate.
But just when I was about to look for the zombies locked away in buildings with the paint still drying on the exterior walls. I ran into some old friends. The critters from the old Noah's Ark Restaurant that greeted me when I went there as a child were hanging out in a park. The elephant and the giraffes were smiling down looking very sharp with their newly painted and repaired surfaces. It was reassuring to see them there. I thought they had been scraped with the old restaurant they had once decorated. I think like my non-plaster friends, they are very pleased to be relocated to such a perfect place.
I did make a new friend while at New Town, Muffin, the rag mop wannabe dog of my friends. Muffin also seems to like his new home. He is reported to like all the multitude of other dogs that live there. He also likes all the walking he is doing on the well ordered green space. But his favorite thing is all the posts and fences he gets to utilize as he walks. All that perfection affects him not at all. He just goes and pees all over it, that gives me pause to think, hmm.......... maybe it is good to be a dog.




3 comments:

Rachel said...

I am so glad to see the Ark's animals were rescued. I could never live anywhere where I new all of my neighbors.

Tempest ina Pot of Tea said...

That is the truth, there is something to be said for fences making good neighbors.

Unknown said...

Brian and I briefly considered New Town when we were moving, but decided it was a little too well-planned for chaotics like us. We fit in much better in our neighborhood where we can watch funerals from our front window and occasionally get obscenities hurled our way by a shirtless drunk on a bicycle.

I'm thrilled that they've adopted the Noah's Ark animals, though! Last time I passed through St. Charles I was really sad to see them gone.