Saturday, June 28, 2008

Third time is a charm

I love the concept of a Scottish restaurant. And locally we do have one that I am aware of, the Scottish Arms. I had been there twice before for dinner and despite wanting to like it, I hadn't. Today I changed my mind, and for anyone who knows me well understands this wasn't easy to do for me or the Scottish Arms. It was suggested by a friend, Beckyzoole, that their reuben is exceptional. I style myself as a reuben connoisseur, so with the gauntlet thrown down I was up to test her opinion. And can I say the reuben there is in fact yummy (yummy being used as a professional reuben eating terminology). The rye bread was crispy, the corn beef tender, the cheesy gooey, sauer kraut added the perfect addition to the overall texture and favor of the sandwich. My only complaint would be the thousand island dressing was a little spicy for a reuben. O'Connell's reuben had a better thousand island dressing, but their sandwich was a little soggier then it should have been. So all things being equal this was as close to reuben nirvana as I have found to date.
But enough reuben theory, back to the Scottish Arms. They do not serve the reuben with their dinner menu only their lunch menu. And lunch was awesome today. My beloved companion had the fish and chips and witch was also in the realm of yummy. In between mouthfuls she kept muttering, "It is so hard to get good haddock in the Midwest." I could see the look of bliss in her eyes as put her napkin down.
Because I am one of those too much of a good thing is a good thing type of people, I ordered the deep-friend mars bar for desert. OMG!!! It was a heart attack on a plate served with two scoops of ice cream. The wait staff all cruised by our table and drooled before one of the guys in a plaid skirt said, "I am going to have to order one of those for me." It was an intriguing item that tasted like a mars bar doughnut. I liked it very much. My lunch mate, had a few bites and declared the item too rich for her. Good, more for me!!! I left Scottish Arms poorer in pocketbook, but full in tummy and with the thought, Scottish Arms is awesome for lunch!

No comments: