Friday, March 19, 2010

Breaking the Rules, or Toyko I Love You.

Late last year I went to lunch with my friend Liz in Rolla. Before lunch we stopped at the lys, Uniquely Yours, I fell in love. I fell in love with Toyko by Feza, a very fussy and difficult yarn to knit with. But you know how love is you always overlook the flaws. So with my credit card in hand I bought four balls and decided on a drop stitch patterned shawl.

My friend was a complete enabler. "Buy it," she encouraged. "Once you are done you can wear it to my lecture in March," she suggested. In my mind's eye, I saw myself all fashionable swathed in a gorgeous scarf that everyone admired and coveted.


Flash forward to last Saturday while I frantically knitted and than cut the tedious strands of fringe. Three balls knitted into another one of my amazingly long productions of a shawl. I know after the super-sized clapotis I promised to control my urge to knit bigger and longer, but you know I had the yarn and the drive to make this baby big. Add a fourth ball of yarn for fringe and low and behold another large shawl was born.

On Tuesday my lovely wife and I went to said lecture and I was swathed in fabulousness. My friend loved it, other women clucked and crooned over the shawl. I fluttered around like some over-sized rock diva and only got the fussy loose knitted thing caught on one bathroom door and stepped on the fringe once. A smashing success, if I do say myself.
And not to be all about me, Liz's lecture was well attended and her presentation enthusiastically received. At the end she was the real rock star and I one of her glittering satellites.

No comments: