Sunday, April 17, 2011

Lagniappe or Oh Katia


Sometimes you just fall in love with the novelty of a yarn and just have to have it.  I saw this Katia by Triana at Knitorious and wanted to make these lovely ruffly scarves.  Fortunately, my wonderful friends Tammie and Fiona had birthdays coming up.  Though I already had presents for both of these lovely ladies, I decided they needed birthday lagniappes. 

I love the word, lagniappe.  A lagniappe is a Cajun/Creole word meaning a little something extra.  I like getting those unexpected bonuses in my life and so do be able to do that for someone or someones I love, is almost like getting a lagniappe for myself.


The yarn has at the top a little slit which is the opening used for knitting.  When knitted up the yarn makes this awesome ruffled fabric.  I discovered the yarn in a half knitted scarf laying on the table at the lys and said, "What's this?"  Of course I picked up the scarf and the needle fell out.  Whoops!!!  Sadly, this is tricky yarn and once you drop a stitch, it is very hard to pick it up again.  Sandy, the owner of Knitorious, had to start all over again.  It is a good thing Sandy likes me and I bought some yarn from her that day 'cause I was in the dog house on this one. 



With my novelty yarn in my knitting bag I began on my lagniappe scarves.  I knitted up the scarves and had bonus round presents for two of my favorite people.  As you can see from the photo of Tammie in her gift, she looks FABULOUS!!!


No comments: