Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Thanksgiving In Florida

This year my wife and I went to Gainesville, Florida for Thanksgiving.  My in-laws were wanting to have a holiday family gathering at their home.  Gainesville is not the most exciting travel destination, but the opportunity to see our little nephew and have a turkey dinner with all the trimmings, made for an irresistible combination.  As I had previously posted about being thankful for the people in my life, I had a whole week to live in that thankfulness.  My traveling companions were Natalie and my mom, always delightful companions.

Last week my days were filled with much love, much food, and much knitting.  My brother-in-law, Gene,  put together an amazing menu for his family and ours.  We all kept asking what we could do to help, but he and his wife, Dora, were a well oiled machine of efficiency.  They had spent the last year searching the web and practicing recipes to present to us a perfect feast.  They were a great team in the kitchen, with his first turkey turning out to be one of the best I have eaten in a very long time.  The group of appreciative eaters around the table concurred, dinner was par excellent.

We supplemented the Florida in-laws visit with a night in Jacksonville to see our godson, Jase and his mother, diane (the little d is intentional).  Again I say irresistible!  We had another wonderful meal while catching up and laughing until our sides hurt.  Parting was so hard as we hugged each other in the kitchen, then in the garage, and finally at our cars.  Sometimes, though geography separates you, good memories and love do not. 

Last week my cup ran over with people who I wished I saw more often, and with this visit I am even more grateful for all the wonderful people in my life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very interesting blog entry.Thanks for sharing this post.