Sunday, February 24, 2013

Fiestaware, Algebra, and My Relationship

I talk about my beautiful wife all the time.  However, most relationships take work, ours needs lots of hard work.  Both of us are complex people and sometimes those complexities are difficult hurdles to overcome.  I find she is worth the time and attention; I can only hope it is the same for her.

In the ebb and flow of our lives, we have not always succeeded in making things work.  When people ask how long we have been together I always just say we have known each other since we were 16.  If they inquire deeper, I make some comment that the number is an algebraic equation.  However, this time around we have been together 17 years.  The first time around we were together 8 1/2 years, but things fell apart.  After the break-up both of us spent almost 3 years trying to get over one another.  When the getting over didn't happen we started working towards a reconciliation.

Now reconciliations take work too.  Lots of work, forgiveness, compromise, and in our case fried chicken.  Lots of fried chicken.  Natalie promised me if we got back together, she would make me fried chicken with all the trimmings (mash potatoes, gravy, and asparagus) whenever I wanted.  There were many reasons to come back, but that fried chicken was just too hard to resist.

Flamingo Fiestaware Place Setting
This year for Valentine's Day my wife cooked for me a very fine dinner of all my favorites including her fried chicken.  She knew I was a little down thinking about my dad, but she worked hard to make it special.  She even plied me with gifts of Fiestaware.  She knew all my favorite things, fried chicken, Fiestaware, and her.  Sometimes relationships take no work at all.

Flamingo Fiestaware 9 5/8 Oval Platter

No comments: