Saturday, June 1, 2013

Pride Month & Hope


June is Lesbian/Gay/Bi-Sexual/Transgender/Questioning Pride month.  This month will also be an important month for LGBTQ rights.  Just in case you have missed it, late this month the Supreme Court will hand down their decisions on the California Proposition 8 and the federal Defense of Marriage Act.  If these two discriminating laws are overturned, my life will be greatly changed.

After spending thirty years of building a life with Natalie I am hopeful.  Hopeful our union will have the protection of other marriages.  I fear losing our home of twenty years if something were to happen to Natalie.  Any family member could challenge my right to live in our home or I will be hit with inheritance taxes a legally recognized spouse would not have to pay.  We could even be barred from attending the other's funereal.  We have spent a significant amount of time and money to protect ourselves, but it could still be a struggle.  We can only hope for the Supreme Court to recognize the discrimination against same-sex couples and end it.

I keep thinking things can change, love will win over bigotry and discrimination.  Society is changing.  Judges and politicians are listening.  People are recognizing all we are asking for is to have equal rights; rights our constitution is suppose to protect.  My hope is we end up on the right side of history  We are humans and we deserve the to be recognized as a loving married couple.  Pride month is about hope and I have hope.

No comments: