Saturday, January 25, 2014

Hanging Out with Knitterati

Like any sub-culture knitting has a select group of Knitterati.  Super star knitters who have turned their passion for yarn into a full time profession.  They write books, teach classes, blog, and blog some more.  I must admit I have chased some of these individuals and been elated to be in the presence of knitting greatness (http://tempestinapot.blogspot.com/2008/10/knitting-with-rock-stars-or-mason-dixon.html), 

One of our own Knitterati, Brooke Nico at Kirkwood Knittery (http://www.kirkwoodknittery.com/) had one of her friends and fellow super stars, Franklin Habit, join us tonight at her shop.  Franklin is known for his quick wit and clever cartoons.  When I first started knitting I was given a copy of his book, It Itches by two wonderful friends.  The book made me smile and gave me hope that one day I would be a better knitter.  To meet someone so talented and congenial made for an awesome evening.



Franklin spent his time with us talking about those crazy Victorian crafters.  His section on macram√© was especially hysterical.  Made me want to make a jute, owl wall-hanging, NOT!  He also brought his knitted wool swimming drawers for our inspection.  Those made me glad I live in a post spandex world.  I smiled all the way home having spent the evening with my tribe enjoying the company of a very clever knitter.  If you don't believe me, check out Franklin's blog (http://the-panopticon.blogspot.com/).  His advice to "Love! Laugh! Knit!" will be followed.

No comments: