Saturday, January 25, 2014

Hanging Out with Knitterati

Like any sub-culture knitting has a select group of Knitterati.  Super star knitters who have turned their passion for yarn into a full time profession.  They write books, teach classes, blog, and blog some more.  I must admit I have chased some of these individuals and been elated to be in the presence of knitting greatness (http://tempestinapot.blogspot.com/2008/10/knitting-with-rock-stars-or-mason-dixon.html), 

One of our own Knitterati, Brooke Nico at Kirkwood Knittery (http://www.kirkwoodknittery.com/) had one of her friends and fellow super stars, Franklin Habit, join us tonight at her shop.  Franklin is known for his quick wit and clever cartoons.  When I first started knitting I was given a copy of his book, It Itches by two wonderful friends.  The book made me smile and gave me hope that one day I would be a better knitter.  To meet someone so talented and congenial made for an awesome evening.



Franklin spent his time with us talking about those crazy Victorian crafters.  His section on macramé was especially hysterical.  Made me want to make a jute, owl wall-hanging, NOT!  He also brought his knitted wool swimming drawers for our inspection.  Those made me glad I live in a post spandex world.  I smiled all the way home having spent the evening with my tribe enjoying the company of a very clever knitter.  If you don't believe me, check out Franklin's blog (http://the-panopticon.blogspot.com/).  His advice to "Love! Laugh! Knit!" will be followed.

No comments: