Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Saga of a Scarf


This is a very knitterly post, so I apologize to the non-knitters who are reading this blog. I hate short scarves, I find they don't serve my need for the dramatic swathing of a garment around my neck. I have already to my credit 2 very long scarves. In my defense, the first one was my proto knitter scarf rife with errors. The second was in fact a gift for my minion the giant. So the length was actually perfect for him. However, I have no excuse for my third foray into the world of neck wear.

I bought some extra soft malabrigo yarn and thought it would be very cool to knit something on the vertical. With no clear idea how to get the right measurement, I just cast on as many stitches as I could stand on circular needles. This scarf was very laboriously knitted and I still don't know how many stitches marched down the cable. I tried to count once, but lost count after 300. So let's just say, it was a lot. As I was running out of yarn, I decided it would be best to bind off. Well this scarf when draped on before mentioned giant puddled at each of his shoes. YIKES! So it was into the land of frogs for me.

Starting over with the malabrigo I cast on 300 stitches thinking this would be a nice long scarf, but not too long. Alas, it was again almost too long. Looping it around my neck twice it is past my knees on both sides. Granted it is very warm and very luxurious with the fringe I added, because well, it just needed fringe! And the kicker is that it is sooo long that it is actually stretching itself out more. Sigh. So I must consign myself to the fact that I am the queen of long scarves. Next time I knit a scarf I promise on the softest wool I can find to never intentionally knit a scarf this long. Fingers crossed behind my back kind of promise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

See here or here