Sunday, March 9, 2008

Tea and knitting

I was originally blue about my birthday. It has been a rough year. I have been trying to be healthy about this process, but for some reason my birthday became this looming date. I felt as if a stumbling block was in my way, and for those who know me, I am not the most graceful of creatures. So with some trepidation I went to my weekly IHOP get together with the knitters in my life. I walked in and was surprised by a wonderful celebration in my honor. I was so warmed by the love, that all I could do was smile like a big dope. My friends had all embarked on a group project for my birthday. They knitted me a fiestaknitware set. It is AWESOME!!! They had found the pattern on the web and decided it was exactly what I needed for my birthday (http://www.knittingdaily.com/freepatterns/toys/Fiesta_Tea_Set_Childrens_Toys90-1.html).
And they were exactly right. My birthday went from blue to green, pink, orange, purple, teal, and red. I cried a little and could only keep asking who knit which piece. The two gentlemen knitters split up the project with one knitting the saucer and the other knitting the cup. Another knitter took on the creamer and decided it was so much fun she had to make a cup too. The teaport and sugar bowl are so beautiful, I can't stop looking at them. The colors chosen were so vividly amazing. At the last minute my beloved Cuz was conscripted to do a cup and saucer. She was so happy about the project and informed me it was fun knitting. I stole some pictures from Rachel to prominently display the work of some proud knitters. I cannot imagine a more thoughtful or unifying gift. I am lucky and feel in the most real sense of the word blessed. And then the always wonderful Semperfiona baked me a teapot cake!!! I can't even begin to imagine how she achieved so effectively one of the best birthday cakes I have ever had, but it was so perfect.

I just love how the lid of the teapot is flipped up, like the tempest in the teapot has gotten so out of control it lifted the lid up and caused the storm to dissipate. Kind of like my sadness, the party made me hopeful, ready to let some of this baggage from the past year go, and to start moving forward. I just need to focus that with good friends and bright colors, the darkness I have been through will disappear. I want to make sure lavendergrrl, semperfiona, ohari, scottake,Rachel, transplantmom, 7letterdeborah, Lenora, Cuz, sunglazing, and girlfriend know how much the love I felt Wednesday night has made me warm all week. Thank you. Thank you for so much, the gift of knowing you all, the gift of learning from your examples, and the gift of allowing this too fabulous Pisces into your amazing lives. Blink, blink, sniffle, sniffle.

Me being very green and very happy!

2 comments:

jess rules all. don't forget it said...

Aww, that's fucking rad.

Glad everything turned out good. Anyway Love you!

Tempest ina Pot of Tea said...

My tea set is so rad, I can't believe it is mine!!!