Sunday, May 4, 2008

Vintage

Awhile back I checked out Runway Knits by Berta Karapetyan from the library. The book had some stunning patterns in it and I particularly fell in love with the Vintage Shawl. I read through the direction and thought, hmmm, I think I can knit that. So with credit card in pocket and mother's day in the future I thought, "I shall knit this for my Mother's Day present." Okay that was the plan, and a fine plan it was.

I have this thing for Queensland Collection Kathmandu. It is just so soft and smells so delicious that I decided to fore go the recommended bulky yarn for an Aran. I mean what is the difference between such close friends, right? In the end the difference was about 25 stitches, but again, what is 25 stitches for my mommy. I even picked out a wine color that I know she will love. The shawl will look perfectt draped over her or the back of her couch. So I purchased the estimated 12 balls of yarn and an extra 3 more case my math skills fail me, which they often do.

For the first time ever I gauge swatched the project to be sure of my cast on. I am so glad I did too, I noticed how badly the edges rolled. What looked like a design element in the picture was actually completely furled edges, yuck. I know my mom would notice that right away. So to a smart knitter I went. She suggested a garter stitch edge. How simple, how silly that I couldn't think of that on my own, but this is why I love knowing such smart knitters.

So here I am blogging when I should be knitting, 7 days away and I am at inch 33 with 37 more inches to go. I have to get this done with fringe by next Sunday, YIKES!!!

Wish me luck I will keep you posted, but know that wherever I am and whatever I am doing sitting next to me in a bag is a project which is like a time bomb waiting to explode. And I am probably knitting on it or thinking about knitting on it. Tick, tock, tick, tock.

No comments: