Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Meramac Springs and Romance

In my mind's eye childhood was rosy and all parks were fun. I have an especially sepia-toned memory of Meramac Springs Park in St. James. I remember running around in the park with my cousins and playing capture the flag with my classmates on the playground there. I also remember thinking the old smelter was a pyramid. And I believed that Captain Nemo lived at the bottom of the spring with his Nautilus. I even remembered in college when I would take my sweetheart to the hatchery to feed the fish. All in all beautiful memories without any hints of bugs, rainstorms, or the occasional pebble in my shoe.


With my head full of a romantic day at the park I took off with my friend Sungazing and her spawn to show them my vision of childhood. I had hoped the kids would love the beauty of the park and that she would snap some awesome photos. I also dreamed of a fun picnic on a blanket under a tree while children's laughter echoed through the park. And to be honest that was mostly what my day was like if you subtract the gigantic ants, the tiny ticks, and the occasional kiddie outburst. It was awesome. The park just gets prettier and prettier ever time I see it.
The spring puts out about 100,000,000 gallons of water a day and is about 350 feet deep. Captain Nemo and crew could in fact be down there. The cool vapors from the water make the spot a haven on a warm day. And who doesn't like feeding a fish or two?
Sungazing thought of everything, but bugspray (and I forgot the bugspray too). She packed the best picnic that any human or squirrel would want. And bless her bleach blond heart she even produced a bottle of sparkling grape juice from St. James winery. We swatted at bugs and knitted while spawn played in the park. The magic of the park was still there and a bit of my childhood remains intact, not besmirched by the real world. Thank you Sungazing and brood for giving me such a wonderful day.

No comments: