Sunday, June 15, 2008

Pie


Friday I had the day off, and I decided to take Natalie to The Blue Owl in Imperial/Kimmswick. She and I have never been and I had heard that they made great pies, and Natalie does love pie. The day was a little damp, but not torrential and the temperature perfect for a day out. We got right into the Blue Owl despite the full parking lot and lobby. The lunch was nice, but it was the dessert that was amazing. Natalie had the Butterscotch Pecan Pie. It came out piled in butterscotch coated pecans. My mouth watered just looking at her dessert. I ordered the Italian Cream Cake. I am not a pie lover. My cake was excellent with the most delicious cream cheese icing, but Natalie's pie...well let's just say it took the cake. (I know you are groaning right now Cuz). Natalie was kind enough to let me eat a few of those pecans, they were so butterscotchy good. She ate quite a bit of those piled on pecans, but only had one bite of the actual pie. The good people at the Blue Owl brought us two to go boxes, so the pie waits for Natalie in the frig.
On the way home I asked Natalie, laughing while I said it, if their pecan pie was as good as mine. I expected her to say the Blue Owl's was better, but she said, that the best pecan pie in the world was the one setting in front of her. I found that to be one of the most diplomatic answers she has ever had the foresight to utter. However, their pecan pies beat mine, forks down. If you look at the photo you can see the pie buried under that mound of yummy pecans. I think I am gaining weight just thinking about it. And hey there is pie in the frig, do you think Natalie will kill me if she finds it gone in the morning?


No comments: