Wednesday, June 18, 2008

World Wide Knit in Public Day

Lately I have not been spending much time with my mother. I have been really busy and with gas prices being so high I just have not made it down to Hermann that often in the last year. Two weeks ago I received a newspaper clipping announcing an event for World Wide Knit in Public Day (WWKIPD) on Saturday June 14th. Despite knitting in public whenever possible, I thought this was an excellent idea to knit and see my mom at the same time. I got in my hybrid and drove down. The weather was gorgeous, the setting at the Hermannhoff Winery bucolic, and the company was perfect.
My mother is not a knitter so she brought her current quilting project and we met 4 new knitters. The group at Hermann is small, but large in spirit. They call themselves "Strings Attached." Marsha, the woman who spearheaded the event was working on these adorable little Swedish elves she makes with leftover sock yarn (very clever her). I am including a picture of this cute little creations.
My mother worked on a quilt project she called, "Making a Scarecrow." I snapped a picture of her hands working on the block. I love watching her work. She is just so damned good at it she makes this look so easy. She will have this project done in a few weeks and it will be so cutesy it will assail my senses, but the craftswomanship will be excellent.
I worked on a little swatch bracelet with Dyeabolical Yarn. I really like how the colorway worked out on the bracelet. The ladies from Strings Attached invited us back anytime. They also seemed to really enjoy my mother's non-knitting project. Mom enjoyed meeting local crafty ladies too. One of the ladies, Joey, invited us to an art gallery opening that night which just extended our good time. Thanks mom for inviting me down and reminding me how cool it is to spend time with you.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

That is a nice looking bracelet. Those Dyeabolical dyers are so smart! *grin*

Tempest ina Pot of Tea said...

Smart and stylish!