First, I want to say that I am blogging today so I can have at least one blog post with the date of February 29th. Like a lagniappe, we get this extra hours to enjoy one more day of the mildest Februaries I can remember. And the forecast says tomorrow will be just as unseasonably warm. I say bring on the strawberry spring, I can handle it.
Second, I am very tickled with the new look on my blog. I am also impressed that I figured out how to change the format and give the fonts a fresher look. I am not very computer savvy so I was pleased it turned out so well. Now if only I can figure out how to fix the broken flickr link, I will think I am a computer goddess. As to the new look I hope you like it too.
Third and lastly I have made an epic knitting failure and of course it was on a hate (my word for hats these days). I have been working hard in the land hates trying to improve my knitting skills. So when I found a slouchy beret pattern called Starving Artist by Laura Linneman on Ravelry I thought that looks kind of fun. I even had some cotton chenille in a strawberry parfait color that I thought would look charming. I hit a snag when I had a purl front back increase, I had no clue how to do it. However youtube saved the day with a very good tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPJCawekDfY) so onward I knitted thinking my problems were solved.
My mistake was the usual, I knit big. I think because I am a queen size woman, everything I knit must be queen sized as well. My head is actually very normal sized and I don't need to knit like I am knitting for a titan sized head. This lesson had yet to be learned, it is now. My starving artist is more like a gluttonous hack, fat and overdone. Sigh, I have only myself to blame. I would rip it out, but using a cotton chenille makes that an effort in frustration. In the end I have a beret that has a 15 inch diameter. I think it looks more like a mushroom hat, than a slouchy beret. In other words EPIC FAIL. But I knit on and think, never, ever, super size your head again.