Saturday, January 15, 2011

Luck O' the Irish, Or Potato Pancakes Realized

I love potatoes baked, boiled, fried, mashed, nuked, and even occasionally raw, I like them all.  I have always dreamed of being able to make perfect potato pancakes, however I have had no success.  The pancakes have come out in pieces, burned and stuck to the bottom of the pan.  Once it was like an horrid liquid that cooked up like really bland scrambled eggs.  In the past I have tried shredded boiled potatoes mixed with eggs and milk and then mash potatoes with eggs and milk both methods produced less than stellar results.  This morning I tired something different.  I coated mash potato balls in flour and then fried them in my cast iron skillet with a little olive oil.  At the very end I put a sliver of cheddar cheese on the top.  Eureka, luck was on my side!  Success at last, I paired my pretty little pancakes with strawberries and I shared them with my lovely spouse. Lucky in the kitchen me.

No comments: