Saturday, November 10, 2007

I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir, because I'm not myself you see.


Sometimes I wonder about myself, am I myself today or was I more myself yesterday? Or when I say I am not myself today, is it really that I am truly being myself? That is just to existential to contemplate.
So, yesterday when I was either myself or someone else, I meet some old friends for dinner at a north county establishment called Ponticello's. The food and the atmosphere was American/Italian like so many places I am familiar with on the south side of St. Louis. Even the pizza I ordered was what I have called for years, south side Hoosier style, but here I sat as far north from the arch as you can get and still be considered in St. Louis eating the world's flattest pizza. The paradigm of my life is shifting and as a friend suggested I should be looking for a pair of quarters instead.
As I continue to work in north county, so far from my home in south city, I am beginning to learn a new world. My workplace is ten minutes from a Wal-mart. I have never worked this close to a Wal-mart in my life. I don't know if this is necessarily a good thing. I recently discovered a White Castle that I never knew existed. Again not a good thing. The closest yarn shop is not my beloved Knitorious (www.knitorious.com).
For a brief moment I thought, maybe I could move up here and not have so far to commute to work. I mentally spanked myself for that thought. The houses in North County are all post-WWII ranches, with about as much personality as cream cheese. Second floors are an anathemas. I actually feel more like I am in Memphis, Tennessee then St. Louis. Yet all the driver licenses I see to dole out library cards say St. Louis County. Oh well, maybe my idea of St. Louis needed some revisions, my horizons expanded, because I did like Ponticello's and I know I will eat there again. And the company over dinner was wonderful, north county might not be so bad to work in after all.

No comments: