Tuesday, January 29, 2008

There were doors all round the hall




I woke up this morning thinking about doors. Phrases like foot in the door, doors slammed in your face, door to your heart cycled in my brain. I also thought about which door you come in makes a statement about your relationship with the person you are visiting. My grandparents had a front door that no one ever (and I mean ever) used. We came in through the backdoor. Of course that door lead right into the kitchen so we entered right into the heart of the house. The house I grew up in we entered through the garage, even if you walked right pass the front door to do it.
My friends at Rivendell make it very clear that framily (friends & family) come through the backdoor. It was a badge of honor to me when Semperfiona said, "Girl you come in through the back from now on." I felt like I was just picked to the cool kids softball team.
I thought about my home, we actually come in through the side. I walk right pass the backdoor and go around to the side. I have tried to figure out why. It is closer to go to the backdoor, but habit makes me always go to the side.
Today as I rushed through the 19 degree weather and the wind that would make the wicked witch of the west nervous about falling houses I came to my side door. My lock was stuck! I spent 15 minutes trying to get the lock to turn. Finally, after swallowing my frozen pride I called my neighbor who does have a key to my backdoor. I huddled, teeth chattering at the backdoor waiting for a rescue and cursed myself for not having a backdoor key. Maybe, I will become a backdoor woman at my own home.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

The mother of a friend has a sign on her back porch that says "Back door guests are best." I can't help but snicker a little bit every time I see it.