Sunday, December 30, 2007

Monocle


Progression of thought is a curious thing. I started thinking about how I would like a monocle. Who knows why I thought that, but I did. So I started thinking could I find one to buy on the web. After some time of tripping through the Internet fantastic I took a left turn into the image gallery of monocles. I somehow had the tickle of a memory that Romaine Brooks had painted Lady Una Troubridge with her dachshunds and a monocle, looking particularly butch. After more searching I finally found the image I was looking for. And again I thought my doesn't she look particularly butch. The monocle, the gentlemanly attire, or the silly little dachshunds, all contribute to the aura. However, for me it is all about the attitude. There is something in the set of her mouth and the direct, almost aggressive, look right into the viewers eyes which says she is a sapphist. I pondered the expression for awhile and then went back to the monocle. I still need to find one, only goddess' knows where I will wear such a frivolous thing!

1 comment:

Daniel Cullen Eyewear said...

Hello, having read with interest your post on monocles, I would like to introduce you to our website, on which we are able to supply such a frivolous thing, and indeed in a choice of gold or silver colour.

The gold coloured monocle can be found here:-
www.reading-glasses.co.uk/monocle.htm

and the silver coloured monocle here:-
www.reading-glasses.co.uk/rhodium_monocle.htm

Alternatively you may google 'reading glasses by Daniel Cullen' and both monocles are found under the 'accessories' section. I should also point out that we are based in the UK and prices are by default in GBP Sterling.

Hope this might help with the thought progression, kind regards,
Daniel.