Friday, November 15, 2013

Day 15: Riding Shot Gun

Today is the halfway mark for NABLOPOMO.  If you feel like we are not making progress, please be patient.  At this point in the story more is going on than our budding alcoholism. 

When I was a kid my siblings and I fought over who got to sit in the front passenger seat.  Shot gun was invented to end the ensuing shoving and fight over who got that coveted spot.  Whoever called "Shot Gun" first on the way to the car got the seat.  Much to my parents surprise this method did work and we rarely fought about the front seat again.

When I started running around with Natalie and Debbie, I did not ride shot gun.  Debbie had the front passenger seat.  I always rode in the back seat so I could hand up the tunes and pour libations. I didn't mind being in the back because I liked controlling the flow of music.  On the day after the sleepover we took Debbie home because she had to babysit, but after she was dropped off I moved up to the shot gun seat.  Natalie and I drove around for awhile until Natalie suggested we stopped by to see if Mollie was back from her first semester of school yet.  I was game because I really didn't have anything else better to do.

Mollie was home and I remember that she did not seem happy to see either of us on her doorstep.  Natalie asked her to come riding around with us.  Mollie came with us because she needed cigarettes and I remember when we approached the car, I felt the overwhelming urge to yell out, "Shot gun."  I controlled myself, but made a beeline for that front seat.  As soon as we were seated and ready to roll Natalie dug out her, Purple Rain tape and popped it in the tape deck. 



Natalie and I sang along and looked at each other and laughed over the songs.  When, "I Would Die 4 U," came on we sang together and included the accompanying hand signals pointing at each other on the "U."  I was not intentionally trying to make Mollie feel left out.  However, at one point I looked in the rear view mirror and saw the looks of displeasure she was giving Natalie.  I am sorry to say, a part of me did enjoy knowing for once I had something Mollie did not. I am not proud of that feeling, and in retrospect there was much more going on than I understood. We took Mollie to buy cigarettes and eventually back to her house.

Mollie asked to speak to Natalie and the two of them walked to her house.  Mollie made it clear I was not included in the invitation.  I sat in the car and watched what appeared to be an intense conversation.  When Natalie returned to the car, she was quiet and did not want talk about what had been said.  I let it alone.  Before I knew it I was home and Natalie on her way to her own home. 

The rest of the day I thought about the last twenty-four hours and the time I had spent with Natalie.  I wondered what had been said between her and Mollie.  I even wondered what she was doing while I was thinking about her.  I know that night before I fell asleep I thought again about Natalie and looked forward to seeing her again. Soon.

No comments: