Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Day 26: All Good Things Come to an End

And then my winter break was over.  Reality crashed in on us, we had to go back to our separate colleges.  Our schools were only 2 hours apart, which seems like an eternity when you are crazy in love.  I think my parents took me back to school.  On the ride back I remember looking out the window and thinking about everything that had happened.  I told myself I had just wanted to experiment by having a lesbian experience.  Now that it was done, I could move on with my life.  My first semester had been so full of new and fascinating things, surely my second semester would be the same. The distractions would help keep my mind off of Natalie.

As you can imagine, things did not work out that way.  Almost every weekend Natalie and I would be together.  Sometimes she would show up in the middle of the week, too.  I missed a lot of classes, neglected my sorority, and spent more time at Natalie's college then mine.  I remember sitting in on her classes while working on my philosophy homework. 

One weekend in February she showed up and we went to spend the weekend with my aunt and uncle in Branson.  They had no clue we were a couple, but they welcomed her as if she were already a member of the family.  It was a cold February weekend, but we spent time walking hand in hand on the deserted shores of Lake Taneycomo.  I remember standing on the dock and kissing.  Natalie looked at me and said, "I want to marry you."


Of course I said yes, and we were married in our hearts that cold February day overlooking Lake Taneycomo.

By the end of that semester, my college was in my mind as small as the town I had come from.  I transferred to Natalie's college and by the fall semester we were living together.  I would like to tell you the rest of our lives together has been magical, but like everyone else we have had our difficulties.  Life is dirty and messy regardless of how much you love someone.  I never thought we would make it, but almost 29 years later we are still married in our hearts and finally, married on paper.  Either that or maybe I still haven't made up mind yet on the whole lesbian experiment.

2 comments:

AECDesigns said...

LOL Maybe it's just a phase! ;)

SRSLY I have loved reading about your "love story". Thank you for sharing.

Tempest ina Pot of Tea said...

Thanks AEC.