Saturday, November 16, 2013

Day 16: Double Dating

My old classmates started returning from their first semesters away from Crawford County.  Even my old boyfriend, Randy, returned from his university in Texas.  I was excited to see him and catch up on everything that had happened to him in the wide world.  He seemed to be doing well and the joy in which he was taking in his new life was infectious.  Without much thought to it we fell into dating one another again.

I was not the only one falling into dating an old boyfriend.  Natalie had started seeing her old boyfriend too.  We even went on a few double dates together.  I remember lots of laughter when the four of us were together.  Natalie would often spend the night with me when we all went out.  It was great to be with everyone, but I felt so awkward when we went parking together.

Natalie and her guy were making out in the back seat of the car and Randy and I in the front.  Randy would watch what was going on behind us by looking in the rear view mirror.  I did not mind the making out stuff, but things were not going beyond that with an audience.  He had different ideas and I kept stopping his advances.  At some point I just had to stop everything and made the guys take us home.

I don't quite remember what I said to Natalie that night when we were in my room, but I do know I scolded her for giving Randy ideas. I know I told her I loved him.  I could see myself spending the rest of my life with him, but not right now while we were still in school.  I know, only a silly 18 year girl could think that would work out.  Natalie said she was not interesting in settling down, she just wanted to have fun. After we turned off the light we spent hours that night talking.  I poured out my heart to her and this time she could not tell if my nightgown was see-through. I think she listened or maybe she just laid there in the dark of my room wishing I would shut up so she could sleep. 

No comments: